Helpful Info to Avoid an Emergency. 5 Items Hazardous to Your Dog.

Each year there are thousands of dog poisoning cases just in the United States alone. A lot of them are caused by substances you probably have in your home that may seem harmless to you.

For this reason, we wanted to call out a few of these poisons, to make sure you keep an eye on them:


While house and garden plants are beautiful to have, many can be extremely toxic to pets. A lot of them can cause vomiting, drooling, increased heart rate, seizures, coma, and even death. Here's a list of the most common poisonous plants for dogs, however, any time you get a new plant, make sure to check the risks it can have to your fur-baby. 

Flea and Tick Products

While these kinds of products can be helpful to your dog, there's a large number of animals that are unintentionally poisoned by these. This can happen if a dog accidentally ingests these products or if smaller dogs receive too much of them. Always check the instructions or with the vet, on how much your dog needs. 

Heavy Metals

Heavy metals can be very harmful to dogs - they can cause gastrointestinal and neurological problems. Here are a few that you may find around the house:

  • Lead - which can be found in paint, batteries, lead foil, golf balls, and plumbing materials. Another important thing to note is that dogs can also get lead poisoning from a ceramic bowl that has been improperly glazed.
  • Zinc - which can be found in pennies
  • Mercury - which can be found in tuna. However, if your dog manages to eat some tuna off your plate, don't panic. Tiny amounts of tuna will not cause mercury poisoning. 

Essential Oils

While not all essential oils are dangerous to dogs, some can cause serious issues to them - so always consult with your veterinary doctor. A few essential oils that are harmful to dogs are cinnamon, peppermint, pine, wintergreen, anise, clove, thyme. 

Fabric Softener Sheets/Dryer Sheets

The chemical that dryer sheets have can be harmful to your dog if they chew on it or ingest it (even used ones). The smell is appealing to dogs, so make sure they don't have easy access to these.   

Signs of Pet Poisoning:

The symptoms of a poisoned fog will depend due to the toxin they consumed, however, some of the most common signs are:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea and upset stomach
  • Seizures
  • Lethargy
  • Loss of appetite
  • Drooling
  • Abnormal behavior
  • Excessive thirst or urination

What to do in case of an Emergency: 

  • Gather up any of the potential poison remains - this can be helpful to your vet.
  • If your dog vomited, also collect a sample of it. It can help the vet when doing tests. 
  • Seek immediate veterinary assistance. 
  • You can also contact the National Poison Control Help Line at 1-800-222-1222. You can also text “POISON” to 797979. We recommend saving this number on your phone.  

Things You May Not Know That Are Poisonous to Your Dog

Blog Dog Dog Tips Perro Things You May Not Know are Poisonous to Your Dog

Older Post Newer Post